How to Jump Start a Car
If your vehicle won’t start, you likely need to jump start your car battery. Follow this guide on how to properly jump start a car from Toyota of North Miami. If your battery is nearing the end of its life, visit our service center near Sunny Isles Beach for a Toyota battery replacement.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
To get started, you’ll need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you’ve got that settled, follow these steps:
- Have the car with the good battery park facing the other vehicle, then make sure that vehicle is turned off. Check to make sure both parking brakes are engaged.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals. Make sure they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is hooked up securely, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
If your car won’t jump start, you may need a battery replacement, or it may be a sign of a more serious problem. Take these steps to troubleshoot the issue:
- If you try and start the car but only hear a clicking sound, the starter might not be functioning. Schedule service at Toyota of North Miami near North Miami for a replacement.
- If the electrical systems of the car turn on, but the engine fails to turn over, the problem could be a number of issues. The ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse could be the problem. It’s worth bringing your vehicle to a service center so they can diagnose the issue.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. That allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Toyota of North Miami for Service
Whether you need help with a new battery or an oil change, we can help. Our service center is located just a short trip from Miami Gardens, so stop by today or contact us with any questions.
Want to get more information about Toyota service while you’re here? Learn how to reset the maintenance light on a Toyota Corolla, or find out what’s included with the Toyota 30,000-mile service, today.
More From Toyota of North Miami
The 2019 Toyota Highlander is an incredible head-turning vehicle that knows how to make an impression on North Miami Beach car buyers. Between its numerous color combinations, commanding design, and incredible performance, it’s not hard to see why. When shopping for a new Toyota Highland for sale in Miami, you will have nine excellent exterior color options…
The 2020 Toyota RAV4 has received high praise by consumers and automotive critics alike who have had the opportunity to test it out. Car and Driver is raving about the rugged styling and the amount of standard safety technology while Edmunds has enjoyed the off-roading capabilities of the 2020 RAV4 TRD Off-Road. The newest RAV4…
If you’re looking for 2020 Toyota Tacoma accessories and parts, the parts department Toyota of North Miami should be your first stop. We carry a wide range of high-quality, genuine OEM auto parts that will fit your Tacoma pickup truck. They range from exterior steps to towing accessories. Find out more at Toyota of North Miami, serving North Miami and beyond. Parts…